St. Simons Island is ranked as one of the best islands in the United States. This island is just off the coast of Georgia and is popular with visitors because there are lots of things to do in St. Simons Island. It is also easy to get to for US citizens and would be an affordable vacation destination. You should read this guide we have written to find out about the types of things to do in St. Simons Island when you do get a chance to visit.
Best Things to Do in St. Simons Island
There are many excellent options when it comes to what to do in St. Simons Island. You can take a tour on a shrimp boat or play a round of golf. There are nature preserves and some lovely beaches where you can walk, suntan, or go fishing.
There are a few beaches that you can visit because they are accessible to the public, and have amenities that can be used.
- Massengale Park Beach: This is a popular place for tourists and it offers good fishing and swimming for people. There are lifeguards available after June 1st, so this is a benefit for swimmers. There is also a picnic area in the park here for families and small groups.
- East Beach: People enjoy various activities on this beach, including biking and kiteboarding.
- Gould’s Inlet: This is the northernmost section of East Beach and is a nice place to walk and look out at the ocean. Like the other two beaches, there are showers and other amenities for people, and the area is pet-friendly. This is more of a fishing spot and swimming is not recommended here.
St. Simons Island for Nature Lovers
One of the things you may want to do in Saint Simons Island is to enjoy the wildlife of the area. You can find some nice trails to walk on the island. The John Gilbert Nature Trail is awesome for those who want to walk and birdwatch the area. There is a boardwalk that winds through a marshy area, providing a great view of the habitat and the wildlife that lives here.
Guale Preserve is another nice nature conservation area with hiking trails. North of Guale Preserve is Cannon’s Point Preserve. This area contains forest, tidal marshes, and salt marshes, and provides an excellent spot to see birds and also marine life like manatees and oysters.
The Colonial Coast Birding Trail is a good place to view wading birds and migrant species like Buntings. This trail is part of the Hofwyl Broadfield Plantation.
History and Culture
St. Simons Island has many things to do and see, including places that are of historical significance.
- Fort Frederica National Monument: This is the site of the remains of a British fort that was built here in the 18th century as protection against Spanish invaders. There is also a museum here and a tour of the area.
- Hofwyl Broadfield Plantation: This is an old rice plantation that is pre-civil war. There is a guided tour and a museum on the property.
- St. Simons Lighthouse Museum: This should be on your list of things to do on St. Simons Island. You can view exhibits and learn all about the history of the coastal region of Georgia at this museum. There is also a guided tour that takes place here.
- World War II Home Front Museum: The museum has interactive galleries and even storytellers on certain days, describing some of the events of World War II.
Cuisine and Night Life
There are several restaurants, pizza places, and grills where you can get some delicious food. Cuisine includes standard American fare as well as lots of fresh seafood, sushi, and Italian-inspired meals.
One of the popular things to do in St. Simons Island at night is to go out on the town and experience some live music and have some drinks with friends. You can choose from a number of bars and clubs where there is live music, DJs, dancing, pool tables, and snacks. Some of the bars have karaoke nights, which is fun for tourists and locals.
There are plenty of shopping malls and centers where you can browse for clothing, jewelry, or food. There are also specialty shops where you can find some souvenirs and gifts for friends and family.
There are so many things to do while you are at St. Simons Island that you will not be bored. No matter your interests the island has something to offer you, whether that is enjoying nature or fishing in the ocean, or just suntanning on the beach. St. Simons Island is worth a visit and even has lifeguards on some beaches to ensure your safety.
Is St. Simons worth visiting?
What is Saint Simons Island known for?
What to do in St Simons when it rains?
Do I need a car on St. Simons Island?
Is St. Simons Island walkable?
Tags: travels deals, jamaica best time visit, jamaica villas on the water, all inclusive isla mujeres vacation package, best puerto plata all inclusive, best month to visit st thomas, fiji all-inclusive packages, best time to visit puerto vallarta, bermuda resorts all-inclusive, honeymoon iceland resorts all inclusive