El Embajador is a posh hotel in the heart of Colonia Roma, one of the trendiest neighborhoods in Mexico City. The hotel is also a royal hideaway, which makes it unique among other properties that you can find in the city. It was built in 1930 and was once home to Princess Isabel and her husband, Prince Ludwig of Bavaria. Nowadays, it’s an exclusive boutique hotel with Art Deco features and Spanish Colonial Revival architecture that will make you feel like royalty. We recently had the pleasure to stay at El Embajador for business reasons and we are happy to share our experience with you! In this review we will cover all details about their services, amenities and rooms, plus where to eat nearby and things to do around the area.
Awards and Recognition
El Embajador has been recognized as one of the best hotels in Mexico City, and by several travel publications. The hotel has received the Mexican Tourism Award for the Best Hotel Experience in Mexico City, and the Mexican Architecture Award for the Best Mixed Use Architecture. The hotel has a 4.5 out of 5 rating on TripAdvisor, based on 6,489 reviews as of July 2019. It has also been featured by several travel magazines as one of the best luxury hotels in Mexico City.
Best season to visit
The best season to visit El Embajador is from December to March. This is the low season in Mexico City so it is much less crowded than the high season, which is usually around July and August. You will find everything at a much lower price, especially if you are looking for a hotel room. As for weather, December and January are the coldest months in Mexico City. Temperatures are still mild so you can expect the days to be sunny with temperatures between 13-28 degrees Celsius (55-82 F). The nights can get chilly, so you should bring a jacket with you. The rest of the months are warm, sunny and perfect for outdoor activities. April and May are especially gorgeous as temperatures are not too hot.
Rooms & Services Available
- Swimming pools - There are two small pools at El Embajador, one is located in the rooftop area so you can enjoy a stunning view of the city. The second pool is located at the ground level, which makes it accessible for all guests, including those with physical disabilities.
- Gym - The hotel’s gym overlooks the rooftops of Roma and has a beautiful view.
- Room service - You can stay in bed while waiting for your breakfast, which is included in the price of your room. You can order a range of dishes like omelettes, pastries, and other items.
- Spa - If you need to relax after a long day, you can visit the hotel’s Art Deco-inspired spa. You can choose from different types of massages and other services.
- Library - The library is a beautiful space with plenty of books and nice couches, so you can relax and enjoy a good read. El Embajador also offers other in-room amenities such as minibar, WiFi, etc.
Activities in and around El Embajador
- Soumaya Museum - One of the best museums in Mexico City is the Soumaya Museum next to the hotel. The building is the work of famous architect Fernando Romero, the same architect who built the fantastic Museo Jumex. The Soumaya Museum is a stunning architectural masterpiece with a permanent collection of modern and contemporary art by famous artists such as Dalí, Goya, and Rodin.
- Zona Rosa - Zona Rosa is the area where El Embajador is located. It is a very walkable neighborhood and you can find plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. If you are interested in Mexican culture, you can visit the National Anthropology Museum, which is located nearby. You can also visit the Palacio de Bellas Artes, which is a famous art and cultural center.
- Chapultepec - If you are interested in Mexican history, Chapultepec is a must-visit. This neighborhood is home to many historical sites like the National Museum of History, the Castle of Chapultepec, and the Bosque de Chapultepec. Next to the hotel, you can take a Hop on Hop Off bus to visit all these places.
El Embajador is located in Colonia Roma, which is a neighborhood in Mexico City’s Centro Historico. You can visit El Embajador by car or public transport, and taxis are abundant in the area so you can visit the hotel by taxi. If you are traveling by public transport, you can take the subway to the stations Tacubaya or Isabel la Catolica and then take a bus to Roma Norte.
Pros and Cons
El Embajador is a luxurious hotel with a great location in Roma. The rooms are spacious and have an Art Deco-inspired design. You can visit the beautiful rooftop terrace to enjoy a stunning view, sunbathe and swim in the rooftop pool. The hotel has an amazing and beautiful architecture, so visiting El Embajador is like visiting a piece of art. It is also a very family-friendly hotel with plenty of amenities for children. Finally, the staff is extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. El Embajador is an expensive hotel, but it is worth the price. However, you can find discounts and deals if you are looking for a good price. Finally, the hotel is not close to the airport so you will have to take the bus or the subway. You also need to take a taxi if you are not renting a car.
El Embajador is a stunning hotel in the heart of Colonia Roma. It has amazing architecture, top-notch service, and amenities that will make you feel like royalty. If you are visiting Mexico City and want to stay at a luxurious hotel, we highly recommend staying at El Embajador. You will not regret it!