At the edge of Sedona, AZ sits the Southwest Inn at Sedona. It’s also known as “The Fly Inn” because it’s built on top of a cliff and you can see the red rocks fly by underneath you when you drive in for check-in. This is a fun little boutique hotel with lots of charm and its own unique character. Although small, this hotel offers all the amenities you’d expect from a larger property, including a restaurant, bar, and spa services. The staff is nice and welcoming, the rooms are clean and modern, and there are several activities to enjoy while staying here. For more information about our experiences at The Southwest Inn at Sedona follow along below in our detailed review.
Awards and Recognition
The Southwest Inn at Sedona was recently named a “Top 10 Best New Hotels in the U.S.” by Conde Nast Traveler. It also has a 4.5 Star rating on TripAdvisor which is fantastic. The hotel also offers free parking, free WiFi, and free breakfast.
Best Season to Visit
The Southwest Inn is a year-round destination and is open regardless of the weather. However, the best seasons to visit this part of Arizona are spring, summer, and fall. During summer, the temperatures are nice and mild, making it the perfect time to visit this part of Arizona. The weather is also good during spring and fall, which are shoulder seasons for tourism in Sedona. The weather in this part of the state is very unpredictable though, so it’s always best to prepare for any type of weather.
Rooms & Services Available
- Free Breakfast - The Southwest Inn offers a free breakfast during the week. The menu changes daily and there are vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free options available. There are also healthy and indulgent items to choose from so everyone can find something they like.
- Free Parking - The Inn offers free parking to guests which is a nice perk. Parking in this part of town can be difficult and pricey, so this is a nice advantage to staying here.
- Free WiFi - The free WiFi at this hotel is pretty fast so it’s easy to connect and browse the web.
- Outdoor Pool - At the southwest inn guests can enjoy a heated pool and a hot tub. It’s open all year and has a nice view of the valley.
- Full Service Spa - The In-Spa at the Southwest Inn is a full service spa where guests can receive massages, facials, and body treatments. There are also yoga classes available for guests.
- Biking on Trails - The Inn offers biking on a trail that begins at the hotel. It’s a great way to see the area and burn a few calories while you are at it.
- Golfing - There is a golf course near the Southwest Inn where guests can play golf.
Dining at the Inn
The Inn at Sedona is a small boutique hotel with a great location at the edge of Sedona. It has a rooftop patio with a great view of the red rocks. The restaurant offers American cuisine and many items on the menu can be made vegetarian. However, if you want to venture out there are lots of great restaurants in the area.
- The Southwest Inn’s rooftop restaurant offers a full menu of American fare. The menu includes items like burgers, salads, sandwiches, and pasta. There are also vegetarian and gluten-free options.
- The Bar at the Inn has a small menu of snacks that are available until 11pm. If you are looking for a late-night snack you can order things like fried pickles, chips and guacamole, or pretzels.
Activities at the Southwest Inn
- Day Trip to the Verde River - The Verde River is a class II-V whitewater rafting trip that you can take from the Southwest Inn.
- Day Trip to Horseshoe Bend - Horseshoe Bend is a popular tourist attraction on the Colorado River. It’s about an hour and a half drive from the Southwest Inn.
- Hiking in the Area - There are tons of hiking trails in the area and you can even start from the Southwest Inn. There are several trails that vary in length and difficulty.
The Southwest Inn at Sedona is located at 1001 State Route 89A, Cottonwood, AZ 86326. The property is about a two-hour drive from Phoenix. To get there take the I-17 Freeway south and exit at SR 89A.
Pros and Cons
- The Southwest Inn is a great place to visit for outdoor activities. There are lots of hiking trails and whitewater rafting trips in the area. The location is also great because it’s close to lots of cultural attractions like the art galleries, the famous Chapel of the Holy Cross, and the Bell Rock. Because it’s close to the city, there are also lots of restaurants and bars nearby.
- There isn’t a lot of nightlife in the area so if you are looking to go out and party, this isn’t the place for you. The hotel also doesn’t have a lot of amenities like a pool or other activities.
Final Thoughts: Is it worth staying at the Southwest Inn?
The Southwest Inn at Sedona is a great place to visit if you like to hike, go rafting, or enjoy cultural activities. It’s also a good place to stay if you have kids because there aren’t a lot of activities at the hotel. If you are looking for a place with lots of nightlife and activities, this isn’t the place for you. If you like to enjoy the outdoors, this is a great place to visit. The red rocks of Sedona make for a beautiful backdrop and the weather is comfortable year-round. There are lots of hiking trails and you can even go whitewater rafting on the Colorado River. The Southwest Inn at Sedona is a nice place to stay while visiting this part of Arizona and offers a great experience for all guests.